Dec 302011

As if its appeals process weren’t bullshit enough already, the UK Border Agency has recently announced policies to make it even worse.

First, even more payment required:

People who want to appeal against a decision notice dated 19 December 2011 or later will need to pay a fee. The appeal fee will apply to most categories of visas and decisions.

It already costs hundreds, sometimes thousands, of pounds to apply for a UK visa or work permit in the first place, an obvious money-making scam the British government uses to supplement its “revenue”. Now, if a would-be immigrant feels he or she has received an unjust refusal, that person will have to pay the UKBA more for the privilege of watching it judge its own decisions. Or rather, lie about having judged its own decisions, glorying in shutting down appeals without even investigating the case or leaving a paper trail of so doing.

Who wants to bet with me that in 2012 we’ll see the number of dodgy visa refusals rise astronomically for the purpose of hoovering up these appeal fees?

Second, this catch-22:

Also, from 19 December people will need to lodge their appeals at the tribunal in the UK. We will no longer accept appeals at any of our overseas visa application centres.

So if you want to lodge an appeal against refusal of a visa to enter Britain, you have to lodge it…in Britain?

Good one, guys.

The UK Border Agency and Home Office are shining beacons of fascism. Seriously. And before anyone leaps in to accuse me of racism against the British and tell me to fuck off back to wherever—yes, I know it’s worse in the US, and no, I didn’t vote for them.

  3 Responses to “UK Border Agency: straight out of Kafka”

  1. Another UKBA act of piracy.


    My German passport, €20, or €25 if I want a reciept, €15 if I go to the office myself to collect it.

    My Cousins British passport renewal from the Embassy in Stuttgart, €400+ (Four years ago! They have gone up since then!)

  2. fascism was test bedded out in New Zealand and Australia , Its infected this place too.

  3. Or you could just get residency in an easier EU country, such as Spain, which then entitles you to stay in any of them.

    Hmm, and doesn’t Spain have a law that grants residency to people from any of their former colonies? And isn’t it a mere formality to get residency and then a passport in many of those Lain American countries?

    Just saying, the front door isn’t the only way in.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.